Fever after travel
- Sick contacts
- Activites (hiking, swimming, animal contact, insect contact)
- Sexual encounters (including prostitutes)
- Was the patient on chemo-prophylaxis?
- Has the patient had immunizations?
- Labs - CBC, BMP, LFT, BCx, UA, UCx, Thin/Thick Blood Smears
- Consider - stool cultures, HIV testing, STD testing, LP
- Imaging - CXR, consider CT-Head, consider U/S abdomen
The Things Kids Bring Home From Abroad: Evaluating The Returning Child
Traveler With Fever. Thomas L Hurt, MD, Tae Kim, MD, Deborah Washke,
MD, and Tamara Thomas, MD. PEDIATRIC EMERGENCY MEDICINE PRACTICE.
November/December 2005 Volume 2, Numbers 11 & 12.
Fever in the returned traveler. Stephen Liang. EMResident. Page 26-27. August/September 2012.